Anyway, here are a few lessons that I've gathered through my own experience (and that is the reason why they're liable and not hoaxes) And by writing them down, it signifies moving past an era of dwelling in selfish whirpools that only spiral down, forever trapped in the same circumference in which they began.
1) Why do we help people?
Teachers teach kids to "say thank you", to "help others in need" or "respect the elderly". Often times they are teaching them to "do" without actually "being". In some very rare cases, they'd explain: "So that when you need help, others will help you too!" Really? What happens if I don't need help? Unsatisfied with this impure answer, I've decided to find my own. My answer is this: Only by helping others would you feel grateful for what you already have, and continue to be better at what you do BUT not because you don't have enough. You'll do it genuinely and solely for the benefit of humankind. (Also, stop waiting for people to help you. Why be a burden when you can be an asset?)
(EDIT: the act of helping people is merely a by-product of love. and helping people should be a natural gesture, because the end goal is not to help them, the end goal is to love.)
2) It is no use trying to figure out life merely by introspection. The thing is, new questions always stem out from unfinished answers. What you need, is to READ. Read what the buddhists say, what Bill Gates, Warren Buffet say, read off Quora... Even fictional books like Murakami's can remind you things you've long forgotten.
3) Real life is boring. Everyday we wake up, do our daily routine and go back to sleep. It is imagination and curiosity that makes everyday life interesting. Don't forget that the universe is a big place, and anything is possible is you want it badly enough.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
4) Don't get caught up with the people around you. It IS important to form long lasting relationships, and different people have different values in life and it IS their choice and freedom. But if people study to pass their exams to graduate and get a job, if people spend absurd amount of time and energy on their appearance, if people want followers instead of friends... You should just let them be, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, do not dilute yourself but instead HOLD ON TO WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT. Dont simply get affected. You know you're different. The only person to judge you and to be taken seriously, is Yuan Ning.5) Stay off of social media and spend time DOING THINGS, create real value in yourself.
6) What's wrong with having a schedule and sticking to it? You can schedule things down, but how you go about it is a creative process. It's awfully meaningless to live without a sense of direction. You still lived through it, now that you've learned your lesson, never live without a sense of direction. Or else you'll get caught up in the mundanes of life.
7) Happiness is a by product of being usefull. (idea originally from http://qr.ae/TUpOBe). Success is being able to do what you love and doing it well.
8) I am thankful to be studying Medicine. For the knowledge, the ability to help others, for fulfilling this (3 criteria to a happy life: sense of stability, mentally challenging work, variety), and for the power of influence that I can use for a better cause!!
--------------
I lost my identity for the past few months. I remember during the first day of 2nd semester, as I was unlocking the front gate, I experienced palpations as anxiety arose: "It's time to face the world but I have no idea HOW. how do i interact with people and present myself if there is so much of me left to be changed? I thought I'd have this all figured out but this came too soon."
But a few months later, I've found myself again. Can safely confirm my identity as someone (to a certain extent) who's curious, imaginative, and as my sister pointed out, "has a dislike for the conventional".
No comments:
Post a Comment